View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #15216
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Depends what definition you use for "Literary Fiction". If you take the view that it means "something written explicitly to show how clever the writer is"(1), then no, I don't think they count, I don't think that was ever her aim. But you if take the view that it means "something where the style itself imparts its own charm to the story"(2) then I think, yes, they certainly count.

(1) This seems to be a common view, particularly when applied to more modern work.

(2) Seems to be how much "classic" fiction is categorised - it's a charm pretty much built-in to much older fiction by its nature, rather than (necessarily) something the writer deliberately added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To my mind, no it doesn't. I'd classify "literary fiction" as fiction that is deliberately written to be "art", rather than popular entertainment. I'd consider the work of authors like James Joyce or Virginia Woolf to be literary fiction. Jane Austen was writing novels purely as popular entertainment, as were later 19th century authors such as Dickens, Trollope, Eliot, etc. None of them literary fiction.
Thank you both! That helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Is this important? Just read and enjoy (or not)!
Yes, Billi it is important, to me. I am working on a genre challenge this year. See my 2012 progress post, linked in my signature, if you're at all curious. One of the genres listed is "Literary Fiction" and as I've never personally sought out that type of work before, I wanted to know what it entailed, and to possibly get a few examples. My personal google searches came up empty or unhelpful so I thought I'd ask in a place where I was sure to get answers that makes sense. Which I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Maianhvk is right, I'm afraid. The writing is only adequate, and I just can't believe the setup. I'm half way through and I'm going to abandon it.
Oh, thats a shame! It sounded interesting. Well, thank you, Paul and Maianhvk for the warning.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote