View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That is highly subjective. Everyone has hands which are unique. What works for one person might not work for anyone else. I personally agree that most Kindles are difficult for me to hold and operate in one hand unless I place them in a cover to add thickness and surface area. But I must make that same statement state for almost any current device I know of whether a cellular phone, a tablet, an eReader, et cetera. The modern trend in design is to make the devices ridiculously thin and small. Cosmetically speaking it might make for cool looking devices, but ergonomically speaking it makes holding and operating them problematic for a lot of people, myself included.

However I do not see this as a "tragic flaw" because most new gadgets are made thin and small and thus could be said to be also tragically flawed. This includes the iPhone which is sold by the tens of millions. If one is flawed then they all are. I am going to put a cover or case around my devices anyway, so I choose one that allows me to comfortably hold and operate the device.
I don't think the iphone comparison is apt. A phone with a 4 inch screen can easily be held in the palm of your hand and operated with your thumb; the same cannot be said for a device with a six inch screen(in other words, unlike the six inch device, you don't hold a phone by the edges).

I agree that the small bezel of the new kindle is not a tragic flaw. However, the fact that the touch kindles in general have poor ergonomics compared to the nook(i don't know about the kobo) should be noted.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote