View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #181
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Must be a southern thing, because I do not know a single man in my town that does not have at least one pocket knife on them.
There's a pretty good bet my I'm further south than you are ... but I assume I know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Same here. Having at least a basic pocket knife is important, because you'd be surprised how often you need it and don't even realize it. [...] Anyhow, any well prepared person is going to always have a knife on their person.
This conversation just begs for a Simpons quote - but I guess you all probably know the episode I mean. "Thanks to the knife!"

I must tell all those computer geeks I know that they need to replace all those screwdrivers they carry with knives. Sure there is a retractable blade knife in my computer tool kit and there's a sheath-knife in my mechanical toolkit ... and I don't carry either of those kits with me everywhere I go ... and you know what? You're right, I've never realised I needed it (the knife) ... although I always put that down to not actually needing it. Silly me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
The string comes from the fact that any well trained outdoorsman is going to always have at least a small spool of string in their pockets, or a paracord bracelet for those situations where string is needed in an emergency, or just as part of your normal day. Farmers always have at least a little string tucked in their pants pockets at all times because quite often they'll have need of it and no way to go get any. So having some in your pocket is important.
Working around cows we had plenty of string on hand - cut from around bales of hay, but we rarely carried it on our person. Why not? Well most work we did around the farm we did via the motorbike or the ute, and that's where we kept our stock of wire and hay-band and the shovel and all those other things that are always handy around the farm but you'd fall over trying to carry them all at once. A knife in the pocket? Sure, with you there. But a "spool of string" when you're working on the farm. What a laugh. A length of hay-band looped over the roo-bar is always handy, but anything fine enough to be called a spool is for fiddly stuff back in the house.

Last edited by gmw; 05-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote