View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #311
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I plan on running XP Pro Service pack 3 until I die or become too senile to work a computer. I have visualized it under Oracle's Virtual Box, it'll transfer and run on any x86 machine running virtual box. Works just fine under Mint Linux.

Why?

I've played with Android twice, the most recent a couple days ago. It's simply too limited. Multidrive is not inherent in the OS, it's an external bolt on. Software may (or may not) support it.

Android is designed to run a phone. Data comes in via wireless signal, data goes out the same way. It is not designed for expansive local data storage. It's not design to drive peripherals. You are expected to pull it in via wireless (streaming). That may be all you want, but this old dinosaur needs more. I want to print out a Southwest Airlines boarding passes. I want to be able to type long missives. I have been type professionally on a full-sized keyboard professionally for 30+ years. The virtual keyboard, in comparison, is a joke. I want to be able to use portable local storage with oodles of data. Why not? I have it already, built years ago. I chafe at the limitations of Android.

Of course, most people think of a desktop as a big behemoth tower. I use these little one-lunged net-tops, which as going to get much more powerful soon. (check the forthcoming VIVO PC from ASUS).

But then again, I'm an old dinosaur...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote