View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC9 View Post
Hi all,
Here is an update of my case.

Fotosizer tests failed (both version)!

Now I am trying to really unzip epub files
- Unzip them all is ok
- In these conditions, resize images should not be a problem
- Repack epub data, as mentioned, should be done very carefully. If I zip all the files in one step, epub file is not correct. You have to do it in 2 steps.

So Easy to do it (2 steps) manually but I do not know how to do it in batch mode.
I don't know how to do a two-step zip in WinRar - I selected folder in file manager, tapped 'w', selected Add to archive..., changed archive type to ZIP (my default is RAR), hit enter. renamed blah - blah.zip to blah_NEW - blah.epub, added that to library via Calibre Add Books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC9 View Post
@BetterRed are you sure your epub file is correct?
I can read resultant EPUB with calibres' ebook-reader, and convert it to RTF and MOBI and read with Word 2007 and Kindle for PC

What I see in each case is what I see in the original EPUB and RTF & MOBI conversions from the original - my visual checks were limited - i.e. I did not do a forensic comparison. Also the images weren't embedded in wrap around text or anything fancy like that. So there maybe circumstances where unzipping & rezipping EPUBs causes problems.

There are some tools to verify the validity of an ePub, there's also the EPUB Quality Check plug in - I don't have any use for them, so I don't have them.

Of interest is that the EPUB with no images compressed a bit larger with WinRAR than the original

I agree with PatNY, Fotosizer works as advertised - it does not claim to do images resizes within a zip - nor does Photoshop or ACD or IrfanView or... The only consumer software I know of that does anything useful with images in a zip is MaxView e.g. browse, slideshow etc, i.e. its viewing features - but not its editing features.

Irfanview's Bulk processing facility will resize & recompress images in subdirectories, but I don't think it will save in situ if you use that feature. However it has an option to create a mirror directory tree in the designated "Results directory" - but it will only write the new images there - you would then have to copy those images into the unzipped epub folders (overwriting the originals).

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-27-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: response to two-step zip
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote