View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #50
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by peartree View Post
Ok, finally figured it out. I got the justification setting to show up easily enough, so thanks for the help. Unfortunately, the left justification must be hard-coded into the file, since the justification setting doesn't actually change anything. Oh well, hopefully I can make use of this in the future.
Yes, as far as I know, if the justification is hard-coded into the file, changing the Kindle menu option has no effect.

As an example, I am a tech drone who re-formats ebooks to various formats, including .mobi for Kindle. I usually start with a specially modified .epub and convert it using kindlegen. (If you don't follow that, nevermind. read on.)

So, if I specify in the style.css file of the epub that text justification should be "left", then the .mobi file displayed on the Kindle (after conversion) will be left-justified no matter the setting on the Kindle device itself.

OTOH, if I remove the "text-justify: left;" references in the stylesheet, presumably the Kindle will be free to justify however it is set. (i.e. left or full justify. Can't do others.)

So why don't I remove the "text-justify" settings? Because my boss, the publisher, says that the book should appear, so far as possible, as the company book designer wanted it to look. Otherwise, why pay the book designer the big bucks (LOL)?

If you strongly disagree with this sentiment, please post your well-reasoned comments. I'll share them with the boss. (At the moment, most of our e-book sales are into the Kindle market, so I could theoretically optimize the display of mobipocket files for Kindle.)
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote