View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #34
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sony is a huge multinational conglomerate and can afford to charge high prices. They have very deep pockets with some $80 billion in revenue last year. eBooks are more like a hobby to them.

I'd consider a Kobo at $99, but not any higher. The Kindle is better spec'd. But I must say, that the black Kobo is the best looking ereader on the market today.
Yes, Sony is huge, but the result of that is that it should be able to make its readers for less than, not more than a small guy like Kobo. Its easier for a company like Sony to drive hard bargains with suppliers because the suppliers will expect that they will buy a lot of their stuff.

I agree that ideally Kobo should strive for the $100 mark, if for no other reason than its a psychological barrier. In realistic terms, if we figure the reader has a life of two years, the 40 dollar difference comes out to about 3.6 cents a day. Not exactly a make or break difference in reality... but psychologically $110 is as bad as $139.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote