View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I could not resist the sale prices and so picked up the HD a few days ago. I am very pleased with it.

I find the native interface fine and so far don't feel the need to go to an alternate launcher. The native design is tasteful, but you can completely empty the home page of distracting shelves and icons and put your own custom wallpaper on it. This is much more customization than you can do with a non-jailbroken iOS device.

I would not have bought the HD if not for B&N opening the device to Google Play. So far, almost all the apps I've tried from Google will work on the HD. The exception? MSNBC, TV Guide, Yelp, and some map apps. However, I found alternates for TV Guide, MSNBC and the maps. But I don't think there is an alternative for Yelp. Has anyone been able to download Yelp to their HD or HD+ without going through the special procedures for developers?

At any rate, I'd recommend anyone sitting on the fence to take advantage of this fantastic sale. The screens are beautiful on both the HD and HD+. The HD+ actually has a slightly better (sharper) screen than the HD, as well as a better design IMO, but I wanted something smaller and more portable so I opted for the HD. If you can live with the restrictions of no cameras, no GPS, and an occasional app not working with it, these Nooks provide the best screen bang for the buck right now with almost a full android experience.

Two other things I'm very happy with: They have the card slots. In the user guide, it says you can even use 64gb micro sd cards, as long as they are of the SDXC type. Plus the music playback is very good. There is no background hiss, and with Play Music, there is a fully customizable equalizer.

There's no telling if B&N will be selling them at these prices again.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 06-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote