View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #35
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
I don't think writer2epub is good enough. I tried it on one of my documents and it changed the layout. For example it changed the paragraph indents and it centered the chapter headings. IMHO it is better to save as HTML in Openoffice.org and import that in Sigil. Or save as ODT and let Calibre do the conversion to ePub and load that in Sigil. None of these routes is perfect, but they probably are a better approximation then exporting from Word.
Remember, writer2epub is still pretty much "beta" software. AFAIK it hasn't yet been formally released through OOo.

It does produce a very clean, organized, almost self-documenting CSS file, which as Dave_S says, is easy to modify to do what you want. (Unlike the CSS file produced by, say InDesign4 for example, which can be a horrendous mess.)

Unfortunately I have yet to find a solution that "Just Works (tm)." Producing a production-quality epub IMHO is going to require a certain amount of tweaking, within or without Sigil. But several of the options discussed above will produce a "preliminary" epub that is probably good enough for personal use as-is, and will load smoothly into Sigil for final polishing.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote