View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 02:39 AM   #5
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Pogue's review is almost pure crap. From most of his expressions I get a feeling he's had his mind set on trashing the nook and been trying to find ways to accomplish it.

While there're a few valid points, the general tone of the article is to aggressive to be taken seriously. Here're a few examples.

Quote:
It takes nearly three seconds to turn a page — three times longer than the Kindle — which is really disruptive if you’re in midsentence.
Even tho it's a bit slower than PRS-505, there's no reason to overhype it. Really disruptive? The amazon.com fully loads on my computer in about 3 seconds, the NYT we-site takes even more than that -- does that make my internet browsing experience that bad? Also, unlike Pogue I'm not a goldfish and my short-term memory exceeds 3 seconds.

Quote:
It takes four seconds for the Settings panel to open, 18 seconds for the bookstore to appear (over Wi-Fi)
I have one of the recent Macbook Pro models and the System Preferences app takes about 2 seconds to fully draw from the moment it appears in Dock. So nook is 1-2 seconds slower to draw its settings, so what? Even if it took it 30 seconds -- how often do you go to settings to even mention that in a review? For example, iPhone 3GS (which Pogue loves afaik), loads the amazon.com over wifi not that well ahead of 18 seconds and that's one of the key features of the device. That'd be comparable to nook switching a page in 18 seconds.

Quote:
What about the Nook’s built-in Wi-Fi? It’s there, but you get no notification when you’re in a hot spot. And if the hot spot requires a login or welcome screen, you can’t get onto it.
That's weird, as I clearly see the visual notification of a connected hot spot. If Pogue meant there's no notification for the unknown hot spots -- I kind of like that there's none, imaging your reading experience being constantly interrupted when people around you open up their notebooks with ad-hoc networks (which plagued Windows not so long ago). Not to mention the battery drain with constant wifi sniffing.

Quote:
The software isn’t even smart enough to ignore little words like “a” and “the” when alphabetizing; “Pride and Prejudice” comes before “The New York Times.”
Ah, I see the root of the problem.

But I bet he'd be singing a different tune if subscription to NYT was available from nook.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote