View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrow74 View Post
I know I'm being a PITA, but I don't understand why you don't seem to think this is a big deal. I've been a computer programmer and data managment consultant for 34 years. One of the most basic of design concepts is that the sort order of a column of data matches the data display. If The column displays last-name, first-name it should sort on last-name, first-name. To make it worse, a name like Cooper, James Fenimore sorts with the Fs. This is a no-brainer. This alone is making me not want to use Calibre. It's just too frustrating.

Sorry for venting, but I've spent hours upon hours just trying to load my files into the Calibre library and get a simple display by author.
Because there is nothing wrong with the way it's set up currently?

The field is highlighted Author, the author's name is James Fenimore Cooper. If you have set-up the author sort field to have Cooper, James Fenimore it is correctly interpreting Cooper as the surname and sorting by that (only if you click on author, which as per convention means to sort by that heading).

If the name is actually James Fenimore-Cooper then you would actually need the hyphon to make it a properly defined double-barrelled name (and therefore sortable on F), other wise Calibre (correctly) interprets the Fenimore as a middle name.

If you want it set-up to sort by James Fenimore Cooper simply copy the name into the author sort field. about the only thing Calibre really needs is an option to do that by default, which given the current method is the universally accepted way of actually searching/sorting for an author obviously isnt going to be a priority.

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote