Thread: I'm stuck
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
nobicus
nobicus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
I am in the UK and I went for the Sony. BUT I have learned to use Calibre and Igors routine to dedrm Mobipocket books. There is a small program called Cropper which takes screenshots and there is a blog spot http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/arc...2E002E00_.aspx which explains the use of the OCR facility in Microsoft Word 2007 which I am going to try when I get Word.
Here in the UK you can buy a full edition of Microsoft programs, very cheaply, if you have a student who needs access. My grandson uses Word2007 at school and at home and when he comes to stay uses his grandma's laptop for his student work. The retailer, on being asked, confirmed that we qualify for the reduced price copy. So I have ordered our copy of Office Professional 2007 which should arrive this week. I want to try dedrm-ing an Adobe Reader file, to read in the Sony, which I understand from this forum needs to be scanned and OCR-ed.(Such a lot of ad-hoc verbs we have).
Also on this forum it has been suggested that if you have access to two computers you can have the UK Sony version of ebook library on one and the US version on another thus giving access to Waterstones in the UK and the Sony bookshop in the US. It has also been implied that you can buy Sony Book Vouchers with an English credit card from the Sony site outwith the ebook library program and use the vouchers to purchase books through the ebook store link in the US ebook library version. All a little complicated I know but it increases the access to many more ebooks. Project Gutenberg has, only this week, opened a new Consortia Centre http://pgcc.net/ which has increased the ebook availability to over 75,000 (Calibre works out of the box on these).
The Sony Reader is extremely comfortable to use and I would recommend it to anyone but "you pays your money so you takes your choice".
nobicus is offline   Reply With Quote