View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #25
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@derangedhermit
Well, here are a pair of images for you to fiddle with if you want. One pretty dark-toned, the other with lots of white. They are both 1200px wide File sizes seem huge after using images 600px wide!

Each one was saved with 4 different settings---
Source decreased to 256 shades using "Optimized Octree" algorithm, saved to PNG using "Existing Palette".
Source saved to PNG using PSP default 8-bit greyscale algorithm.
Source decreased to 8-bit greyscale, saved to jpeg with 20% compression.
Source decreased to 8-bit greyscale, saved to jpeg with 1% (minimum) compression.

You might also find interest in some of the screenshots and samples on a thread I posted earlier https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222916

You commented earlier about the "glare" of white areas while using Night Mode. I can't think of anything to be done about that from the user end. I imagine that the image could be created using off-white instead of pure white (e.g.: RGB 250-250-250 instead of 255-255-255) but then they would look grimy when displayed on a white background.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LargeImageTests.zip (4.13 MB, 191 views)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote