View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
"clock" issues with borrowed library books? and ADE ??

I just signed on to the forum (after lurking for a few months, gathering all sorts of info; how to make collections, how to use adobe digital editions, etc-- thanks!).

I have a question I can't seem to find any information about. Thanks to this forum, I discovered a whole library of ebooks waiting for me at my public library! I spent all of Christmas day learning about it (including how to get a pdf onto my reader). The first set of books I downloaded (via ADE) showed the little "clock" on my reader, showing me how many days I had left to borrow the book.

The second and subsequent sets did not. After searching high and wide to no avail, trying to redownload the books, trying to do things in a different order, pulling my hair out in frustration, I (being a bit of a technophobe) sent my technologically gifted dh on a mission to solve my issue.

Well, solve it, he did, eventually.... but somehow erasing half of my library on my reader and making the sony ebook store unable to open. But, by golly, my downloaded books now had a clock! He doesn't know what he did, btw. After nearly having a panic attack at my collection going from 56 to 21, I was thrilled to discover that my books were still mine and available for download (again) at the sony store. That was a big relief. However, now we have our sony software on a different computer. He still can't get it to open on the original computer. I think he upgraded something...? But I digress... *sigh*

In any case, here are my two questions--
1) any idea *why* my clock wasn't showing up on my reader? It was on the books on the ADE window, but didn't transfer to my reader.

2) *how* can you safely eject your reader from ADE software? When I had both sony and ade on the same computer, I would download library books via ade, then close it and open up sony and organize the books into my collections and use the little "eject" button. Now that only ade is on that computer, I have to go and "safely remove hardware" (from every external drive... even dh doesn't know which drive that one is), but it still tells me "do not disconnect" on the reader. But I do it anyway *gasp* because I refuse to live my life connected to a computer... and the reader seems fine, but I feel funky everytime I disobey the reader. Any idea?

(Since I can't seem to make this post short anyway, thought I'd just add in here how my first thought upon receiving this reader for a gift was "oh... but I don't *buy* a lot of books... I check them all OUT!" and how much of a "gift" it was to discover that libraries LET you check them out for readers! hurray!!!)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote