View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
The 'Slangy'!

I believe Australia has the best, most 'poetic', and coolest slang. Pound for pound, they consistently fight outside of their weight class when it comes to the use of non Standard English in an informal setting.

I propose an annual award, 'The Slangy' (Name open to discussion) Where we recognize at least:

1) the country that has done the most to change the English language in a given year. (For good or evil)

2) The author whose recent works have generated new use of language.

3) A lifetime achievement award to an author (living or dead -except Shakespeare we got to draw th line somewhere) who has most altered the linguistic landscape.

It would not only be a fun exercise, but would possibly generate some traffic to mobile read, and raise awareness of the ebook community by the rest of the world. I don't see a downside.

Edit: For that matter, this could be extended to other major lingusitc groups.
And possibly add an award for the MR member who has contributed the most unusual terms to our vocabulary here in the forums. SneakySnake, I'm looking at you!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote