View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #1217
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post

Re. the SD card:
There seems to be a hack to use the SD card, by linking the OS from the USB memory to the SD card. Then App2SD should work. But out of the box, even after updating to ICS, there are 3 areas of memory: Internal storage, USB storage and SD card. I guess, they (same with Samsung Galaxy Note for example) separate the internal memory into "internal" and "USB", to reserve some room for crucial apps or something like that. But the -extremely annoying- side effect: All apps and internal commands linking to "SD" actually direct to the USB storage. Meaning: Still no App2SD (but App2USB, which is very limited) .
I can live with that, as I don't have many games on my tablet S and mainly use it for reading.
But would it be my sole tablet, I'd definitely run into storage problems.
What I don't understand: On Sony tablet P, it's working perfectly.
Here Sony even states in the specs "4GB". Actually it's 2 GB internally and another 2GB on the original MicroSD (I'm using 64GB now instead). I don't quite get the benefit of this separation into "internal" and "USB". But like I wrote before: Samsung Galaxy Note has the same, so it's not Sony-specific and seems to have some benefit...

I'm eagerly waiting for the Microsoft tablets now. I have the (outdated but still great) Fujitsu Stylistic ST6012. In some areas, no other tablet can compete with a Windows Slate. Yes: Screen rotation is slow, Windows 7 is a bit less convenient. But having a full blown file system and being able to operate Office or Newsleecher = priceless!
Thanks once again, this time for the SD card explanation. I had erroneously guessed it was integrated because it played the media on my external SD card, and because of this erroneous Amazon customer review, that says the SD card problem is "changed in 4.0".

Explorer shows ten storage locations:
- sdcard: like what would be called internal storage on a phone, totals to about 9 GB (3 GB used already) on my 16 GB Tablet S.
- sdcard2: the SD card I inserted
- usbdisk1, not accessible without rooting.
- usbdisk2, " " " "
- usbdisk8. " " " "
The storage allocated to the eight usbdisks might then total up to 7 GB (16 - 9).

Like you said, where we would expect to see a soft button for "Move to SD card", we see "Move to USB storage."

I should have paid more attention to your warning and gotten the 32 GB version. Though like you, I have other Android devices, so 16 GB might suffice if I'm careful. If I have to resort to shifting content around, then that seems easy enough, with (a) the two-way File Transfer app by Sony and a large capacity SD card(s), and (b) Tonido to wirelessly upload/download files to/from my running PC(s) anywhere there's wireless.

The Windows 8 tablets should be terrific, especially if they meld the features of the old Windows Tablet PCs into a sleek modern tablet. I have two old HP Windows Tablet PCs (XP and Vista), but never really got around to using them like I thought I would. These new tablets and their instant on, light weight, and long battery life, should fit most people's usage style much better.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote