View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
I am not familiar with FBreader although I did just read up on it briefly from the website. I have a few questions:

1. Does FBreader replace entirely the OS of the Irex?
2. If it replaces the Irex OS can I go back to the original OS if I am unhappy with FBreader?
3. What functionality does this add that the Irex does not have or won't have after the promised April patch?
4. Does FBreader have enough useful features to warrant making the change?
5. Any opinions from those that are using it on the Irex now?

Thank you in advance for the answers.
1, 2. It doesn't replace the DR800 OS, it's just one application.
And in fact there is no integration with the device by now.
That means you need to run the app and load the documents, there is no integration with the content viewer of the OS.

3. Support for other formats: mobi and chm for me. Consult the complete list in http://www.fbreader.org/docs/formats.php

4. It depends on your use case.
You could use something like calibre to convert from mobi to epub format and use the normal viewer of the DR800, but it doesn't work for chm files.

5. I need it to read chm files ;-)
It's somewhat unstable when opening various big files at the same time (i.e., it looks device runs out of memory and you have to reboot it), but apart of it, opening one file by one is ok.

Anyway, the installation is not difficult and it offers you support for more type of documents.

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote