Thread: PRS-T1 Modified Sony home screen
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #390
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
You may be able to get away with just removing the APK file. This is what you do to remove unwanted system apps as described in our PRS T1 rooting wiki. Be sure and let us know if that works if you try it

You should also be able to remove the modified reader without reflashing or anything drastic if you can get to the Android system settings. Note that the normal "Settings" you see on the reader is the Sony application settings, not the Android system settings. You can use Morkl's home screen mod to get to the system settings (I'm not sure if there's a way of doing this from the stock home screen). Here's the steps based on using Morkl's home screen:
  1. Make sure you have app_syssettings as one of the entries in your homemod/homemod.xml file on your reader. Easiest to probably to change the app_setting to app_syssetting on line 15 of the default homemod.xml
  2. Select: System Settings
  3. Select the com.android.settings entry if you get a choice here
  4. Select: Applications
  5. Select: Manage Applications
  6. Select: Downloaded
  7. Scroll down to "Reader"
  8. Select: Uninstall updates

Please note that I haven't fully tested the above - I didn't actually do the final step as I didn't want remove the modified Reader .

The above steps should also work to remove Morkl's home screen mod as well by choosing "Home" in the applications list. Again, untested...

Cheers,
Simon.
Thank you for this explanation. I "customized" mine mostly back to the standard home screens and removed "app_syssettings" in favor of "app_settings". I didn't realize that System Settings was the Android settings menu. I've just added System Settings back and it answers one question I had about how to remove apps without rooting (and may answer how to add apps without rooting).