View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #25
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuhtala View Post
Not true...I am using a Surface RT tablet and cannot run the desktop app. If I wanted a desktop app, I would have bought a laptop instead of a tablet.
And that's the problem. Because you're running RT you need the Win8 Metro app or a native RT app. So you're a minority of a minority - hence my comments about it not being mainstream.

And I'm not passing judgement on you for choosing a Surface RT device - they looked good when they came out and I nearly bought one myself. But where we are now I'd have to see them take off before I'd commit to one. Microsoft has a habit of attempting to get into a particular market and then ending up dropping it.

As far as Windows 8 being as big an installed base as OS X. That may be true but Apple has always had bigger clout than their actual numbers imply. On the basis of numbers alone we should be seeing far more commercial apps with Linux versions than we do (Kobo actually has a version of the Desktop for Linux but it's not been updated for over a year).

In any case comparing install bases is misleading because the indications are the most Win8 users aren't using Metro apps all that much. And a lot of them are only Win8 users because they bought a new PC and stuck with what it had on it.

However none of this necessarily means Kobo is not intending to fix the Win8 app, probably just that it's not highest on their priority list.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote