View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #67
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I'd say "not necessarily." TV and movies can be more impactful in how they engage your visual and auditory senses with your mind; some of the most memorable and influential moments of people's lives have come from movies. Some personal examples:
  • Lawrence riding out of the desert in "Lawrence of Arabia"
  • "Soylent Green is people!"
  • The trip to the Moon in "2001"
  • The last scene of the original "Planet of the Apes"
  • The last scene of "Silent Running"
  • The opening scene of "Contact"
  • The uncomfortable shock of the in-home attack/rape scene from "Clockwork Orange"
  • The vista of "Blade Runner"
  • "Dr. Grant... my dear Dr. Sattler... welcome to Jurassic Park."

I think the only book that's ever influenced me more than these examples would be The Martian Chronicles.
"A picture is worth a thousand words." It can be worth many more.
(This is not to devalue the worthy insightful phrase.)

I agree strongly with 2 of the above examples.
Blade Runner - the initial vista (which became a de-facto futuristic standard of sorts) and then the scene where the big mutant was taking the examination with the first blade runner. (incredibly well done)
Jurassic Park particularly with the music. (visual and auditory)

I would add visuals just off the top of my head-
2001 - the Obelisk plus the music

I would like to add that you spoke of the Martian Chronicles as a book. I dare say that the movie was better.
Likewise the movie E.T. was better than the book.

I have thought from time to time to get into screen or play writing but you generally have to be in one of two places all the time, CA or NY, and I just can't do that.
I have participated with several writers that I know on a TV series project where they needed my expertise but the verdict is still out on that effort.

Last edited by frahse; 08-15-2012 at 12:02 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote