View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'd like to see some pictures, of the fonts, on their own and side-by-side.

I like a font with a large ascender height. I think that makes the paragraph more readable without having to change the line height manually.
Pictures of them as displayed on what screen?

Fonts with large ascender heights are old-school now. Commercial fonts for text tend to maximize the height of the lower case to improve readability while keeping the text blocks compact.

From the research I did, I came to the conclusion that it is likely that descenders are a hindrance to reading, because they interfere with a quick smooth return of the eye to the beginning of the next line. I tested this by making a font that replaced all the lower case letters with small caps. For me, at least, it works very well. I'm sure there are better ways to test it, though.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote