View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Quick First impression

Well, I have charged it & switched it on and I have a MAC. I erad the manual yesterday and was a trifle concerned.

Anyway, in the MAC does eventually see it as a usb device, but it is probably quicker to remove the SD card & use a reader.

I then (in spite of the manual) just dragged some folders full of pdf files ont the card, re-inserted & found the files.

Now it has taken a while to get this far (2 hours!) and digging the camera out to photograph some results is also a challenge as the flash does get in the way. (I hate flash).

Overall:
The screen is lovely
It takes about 55 - 60s to switch on I did think it would be quicker.
Whenever you do anything it flashes & this can be on numerous occasions. Quite why it must flash so often I have no idea. You cannot appear to stop this, unlike the cybook which you can minimise the flashing.

The capacitive keys are frustrating as they are a bit too sensitive, but disabling them is almost as frustrating.

The stylus is okay, though for the best part of £470 you would think a better quality one would be provided.

The menu structure is not the easiest to get around, familiarity with the numerous key combinations may eventually help here though. Why you have to go through the menus to rotate & zoom & pan etc rather than create a few buttons or stylus press areas on the display is beyond me.

Reading.
For pdfs it is brilliant. Even A3 are readable without zoom, and A4 is more than adequate. The photo's do not really do it justice as some of the pdf files are scans.

text and html books are fine, I haven't yet registered the device to see my Mobi books, but I would expect a nice display. However for just holiday book reading, get a Cybook (or equiv)

I hope to download a newspaper and see what that is like later.

When in its case, it does get heavy and so it is designed for use on desk or table in my opninon.

The writing side is delayed & so while you can write, you have to assume it will catch up & it does.

Anyway, familiarity should improve some things

For pdf's though it is definitely the one to go for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071174.jpg
Views:	1334
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	16883   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071176.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	16884   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071181.jpg
Views:	1215