Thread: Glo Glo Battery Problems
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Having ongoing issues with rapid battery depletion.

[...]

I'm at my wit's end. This is our 3rd Kobo, and we've had zero issues with the Kobo Wireless and Touch.

Battery issues seem to be a problem with some people, based on other threads. Any ideas as to what I should do? Maybe install an older firmware? Or just contact Kobo, again? Right now, it's a $130 paperweight.
I'm really sorry your replacement is also crappy. I can imagine the frustration this must cause. I would contact Kobo again as suggested above as well, with your test results. Try and get hold of one of the smarter customer support people. I would also try going back to 2.1.5... just in case.

---

I was having the same problems, Glo is now being exchanged and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
[...] customers getting psyched out & waiting for replacements [...]
...yep that's me

I tested all sorts of things and compared it to my Touch as well, which showed perfect battery life. Currently my Touch estimate is 43 days of sleep with book in memory (I'm very interested to see if it actually gets to 43 days; now 22 days in at 51%), as apposed to 4-6 days of sleep for my Glo with the same book in memory on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
To check whether the problem is with sideloaded books in general or something wrong with the specific books you have sideloaded, you could download the epub version of the free Kobo book that had no problems and see if there is any difference when it is sideloaded.
I did try that, and both the kepub and epub of the same book gave horrible battery life on the Glo. In fact, the kepub version gave worse battery life (4 days instead of 5-6). I didn't get to try the kepub on the Touch, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Alternatively, doing and epub-to-epub conversion in calibre will make changes to the files.
I did this as well. And the nicely converted version of the book is the one I put on both my Glo and Touch and compared. Nice performance on Touch, but still bad battery on Glo.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see if the newer firmware on the Glo has a bug where a process keeps going and depletes the battery, or if the same firmware runs fine on the Touch, but not the Glo because of a hardware difference or something else. It would probably account for a lot of the battery drain posts with the Glo.
Is that possible? I was doubtful about why the battery should be so bad... but I too had the same firmware version for my Touch and Glo (2.3.2 for me) and it's exactly because I couldn't imagine such huge battery drain differences within one firmware (even on two separate devices) that I decided to exchange my Glo... But since VelvetElvis is on his second Glo with the same problems I'm beginning to believe what you suggest is indeed possible and in fact a real existing problem at the moment. I was planning to go back to 2.1.5 on my Glo after the last test I was doing, but my last test was cut short by me deciding to send my Glo back to Kobo when I got a response from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Yes, both the Glo and the Touch have 2.3.1 Just going to do some more testing and see if returning to Home before sleeping makes a difference.
This was in fact the last test that I started. But unfortunately I only have one data point for that: sleep mode from home screen at 91%, no battery drop in 25.5 hours. Sounds good, but it's very difficult to compare as battery percent between 91 and 100 always seem either faster or slower in dropping than the rest of the 0-90% range. Also I don't have comparable data points for sleep with loaded book around that % charge.

Quote:
Seems like Kobo would want to get on top of this all the way down to customer support to save wasting money on unnecessary swap-outs and customers getting psyched out & waiting for replacements that won't solve the problem if it's merely a firmware issue rather than battery issues as was previously thought.
Yes indeed. If this is firmware, it's an extremely awful bug. But, if it is firmware, why are there relatively few people with the problem? I can't imagine most people sleep their devices only after going back to the home screen...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote