View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
how many tocs does Sigil make?

This from the Sigil 0.6.0 guide: (You can skip down to the asterisks to check my message first)

"Generate HTML Table of Contents

You can use the menu Tools→Table Of Contents→Generate HTML Table of Contents to immediately create an Inline HTML TOC for your EPUB.

An inline TOC is just another HTML page in the EPUB that contains the Table of Contents in text format.

For most EPUB ereaders, the TOC that is automatically generated from Generate Table Of Contents or stored in toc.ncx is used to display the TOC. However, there are times when an inline TOC is desired in an EPUB or when it is needed because the EPUB will be converted to another ebook format that does not use the TOC file.

If you are creating an EPUB you should leave out the inline HTML TOC file unless you have a clear reason to include it. If you need a TOC for a specific format you are converting to then you can include it just for that conversion.

The Generate Inline HTML TOC button will create a linked table of contents and overwrite any existing HTML TOC file (if it has a semantic type of TOC). If no such file exists it will create an HTML file called TOC.html and mark its semantic type as TOC. If TOC.html already exists it will be replaced.

You can change the style of the inline TOC once you've created it – but remember to do this each time you create the TOC."

So I generated the ncx.toc. But when I previewed the EPUB on Nook for PC, Kindle Previewer, others, they were all looking for a toc. So I went back and generated the inline toc and went back to the previewers and it worked fine.

???s
1)Is the "linked" toc that they're talking about, the same as the inline html toc? (It almost sounds like there are three tocs.)
2) How do I know which specific formats (and distributors) are going to want the inline toc and which aren't?

Thanks.

Bear

PS. Sorry about the cutting and pasting but I just knew it would be too hard to describe in my words. Thanks!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote