View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #62
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I wonder how hard it is to get customer support to authorize DE to more than 6 devices. I can imagine installing it on my laptop, desktop and perhaps a reader if and when that option becomes available. Count in a few reformatting of the computers, os upgrades or device upgrades and I would reach the original 6 allowed authorizations in probably a year or two. I know some users might reach this cap faster if the software becomes available on more mobile devices.
It is 6 desktop/laplop devices and 6 handhelds. I cannot talk about specifics, but there is clear understanding that device lifetime is 2-3 years and one will need to activate more devices without calling customer support. I know that this still may feel too restrictive, but many publishers won't authorize their content for unlimited number of devices.

Quote:
I just hope it isn't too much of a hassle. Wish it was like the sony software where you have the ability to de-authorize a device that needs to be upgraded or formatted so it didn't count against the 6 original allowed authorizations.
It is my understanding that there should not be a need to re-activate it when upgrading the software (but that depends on how exactly Sony implemented their updater).

Quote:
I read almost all my PDF files on DE's and I love the way it looks and it does all the things I need but the DRM thing is so annoying. It's like a punishment for those who legitimately bought their books.
It is understood that DRM adds hassles. I think that can be improved a lot, though. The good thing is that most people are much more realistic now about the level of protection that it can provide against a motivated attacker (very low), so it can be made into much more lightweight and robust component.

Quote:
I'm not that knowledgeable on tech but I just wish there was one standardized format for ebooks and if I purchased it, I could read it on any device that handles ebooks for as long as I want. The inability to do this is the only reason I haven't been to enthusiastic about ebooks.
That's the goal.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote