View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #71
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
The one time I returned a (self published) Kindle book for widespread formatting errors, I left a review explaining that. The author responded that she herself didn't have an e-reader, but had wondered why all the returns were happening? I suppose it appears on her balance sheet. She said it had been fixed, but I wasn't willing to find out.
Don't need an ereader, especially with where Amazon is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimwit View Post
The thing I notice is that the electronic errors introduced by bad formatting translations, the funky letters for apostrophes or accented letters like blasA instead of blasé, is usually in the early author submissions. BAEN has that often. Preproduction, direct from the author files, type of thing. Probably a PC/Mac thing.

Problem is, it lingers. Edition after edition has the same errors, once translated never to be redone. Aggravating. Another problem that really annoyed me is the Charlie Huston books. I had to look up the pbook hardcover and yep, still there. He, for what ever reason, decided he wanted to have different rules for dialog indicators in a paragraph. Couldn't use endquotes, no he'll use ONE em hyphen at the beginning of the sentence. Arrrr.
It is a Unicode/ASCII thing, or an OCR issue. Sometimes if the document is in ASCII and converted to unicode, or vice versa, uncommon characters (such as ones with various markings) will not get converted properly. However I'd say it is more likely to be an OCR thing.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote