View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #139
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
I've been using smartphones for years, and the iPhone was an enormous gamechanger. Can't believe that's even up for debate.
Totally agree. I've had a variety of Palm and Windows CE (mobile, etc.) for years and all of them were clunky and limiting. I still remember selecting my last pre-iPhone HTC/windows mobile phone on the basis of having wifi. It was the only PDA phone my carrier had at the time with wifi.

What the iPhone also did better than it had ever been done was to provide many specialized front ends (aka apps) for accessing specific bits of data from the internet and displaying them in formats that were attractive and useable on a small screen. Prior to that the norm was a fairly good looking email client and calendar (that were often a royal pita to sync with their enterprise desktop counterparts) and a mini version of a desktop browser tacked on.

Maybe it's a reflection of how quickly this new iPhone/Android app world has been integrated and adopted that people have a hard time remembering life before the iPhone.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote