View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #1296
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I never annotate my books (I read for pleasure
In contrast, I always annotate my books*, although I read for (also) pleasure as well.

* The only time I'm not annotating anything in a book, is when a book is so unremarkable there's simply nothing worth annotating in it. However, if a quote happens to be particularly atrocious, I annotate that, too. (I can post some examples of extremely bad quotes here, if anyone would like to see them.)

Naturally, most books ever written or ever published are unremarkable, and not worth annotating (or reading!). The trick is to avoid getting one's hands on such books (legitimate literary criticism -- rather than fake Amazon reviews -- can help here), so that one is lucky (or smart) enough to be always selecting only the small minority of quality books for one's reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
we're clearly approaching our reading enjoyment from two completely different directions.
We definitely are, but that's fine. To me, reading books is both work, and enjoyment -- impossible for me to separate the two from one another, in this particular area of my life.

Because readers and their expectations from reading books are so different from one another, superior reading software can be recognized by the wealth of customization options it offers to each and every reader. That's our Marvin. Whereas crappy reading software like iBooks, Kindle and their ilk, can be recognized by contemptuously dismissing individual users' customization needs -- because those crappy apps don't really care about obliging their users; they only pretend to be doing that. Their actual concern is selling stuff to users, and in order to sell indiscriminate stuff to the great, indistinguishable masses of users, a focus on quality of software is not strictly necessary.

Last edited by Faterson; 05-01-2013 at 01:35 AM.