View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #55
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I know when I saw the article, I just thought it was exaggerated. I mean all the person had to do was update his card info and re-download his books. I actually rather like B&N's DRM, I buy book, download via Nook for PC, strip and read on the device of my choice.

The nice thing is that I don't have to depend on whether Adobe's software works right or not, and it can be problematical if it starts to act up. For half this year, I was unable to use Adobe Digital Editions to download ebooks. I tried uninstalling and re-installing, no dice. I posted here, no one could help. I used Sony's software to download Adobe DRM purchased and library ebooks in ADE's place. Recently, I installed ADE 2.0 and I'm back in business, but I certainly won't be trusting ADE software too far! Again, I download my purchases, I strip.

Amazon is not necessarily better. I don't have a Kindle device and use Kindle for PC to access Amazon books, and it is required for stripping them via certain plug-ins. Well, this summer, I fired up the software only to find it was no longer working AT ALL! And this with NO NOTIFICATION from Amazon. Apparently, the software might've notified me if I'd opened it before they disabled it, but I only use it occasionally, if I can't get a book in epub, so I missed any notification via the software itself.

So, like the guy who let his credit card expire on his B&N account, I was temporarily unable to download and access new Kindle book purchases. It wasn't a difficult fix, but actually more time consuming than updating a credit card, as I had to download the new version of the software AND install it before I had access again.

Basically, DRM sucks. Period. None of the variants are fun when they fail you. And this is why people should learn to strip DRM, so they have control of their purchases.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote