View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Things that look ok in Microsoft Word will sometimes NOT look ok on the Sony Reader.

You will want to avoid txt files with carriage returns after each line. Just toggle on the paragraph marker (I think that's what it's called), and see if carriage returns are there after each line. This kind of file will NOT look good on the Reader, unless you want to fix it, which is what I did on ONE book that I uploaded to make available to everyone here on MobileRead.

RTF files and Word files that have carriage returns after EACH paragraph present NO PROBLEMS for the Sony Reader.

I've NEVER had a problem with HTML files, when I run it through BookDesigner. (Note: I use BookDesigner when I make available Public Domain books for MobileRead. However, there's a strong learning curve to using this program.)

PDF files -- you're dealing with static pages that are formatted (sized) for something larger than the size of the Sony Reader (and most other ebook reader) screens. There are workarounds only for this problem.

My suggestion to you: load your word or RTF files using Word. If it's something you want to read on the Sony Reader - and the carriage return is at the end of paragraphs (as most are) - then back out of Word and load the file onto your Reader. No problem.

I hope this helped.

However, you will be forever frustrated (in my opinion), if you want to read PDF files on the Reader.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote