Thread: Glo Image problem
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Looking at this on my Touch, both versions of the map look good. But, they are different. The map is 600*800 which is the same size as the screen on the Touch. But, it looses margins on the sides, and the page footer at the bottom. The img version is displayed full screen with the footer covering the bottom of the image. The svg version is resized to fit inside this. But, it has had a little cut off the bottom. The last squiggle in the sea is missing. Both look pretty good.
To make matters more confusing, when I convert the file to mobi with Calibre, the maps show up identical on the Kindle3 keyboard and they're sharp and nicely proportioned.
It seems the devices have ways to overrule (some) settings of the file. Since, on the Kobo, svg/img tags make a difference for the maps but not for the cover, I'm guessing the firmware itself wraps the image on the designated cover-page in svg-tags, but doesn't do this for illustrations in the rest of the book.

Quote:
With the Glo's higher resolution screen, I would expect the svg version to be resized to fit the screen taking into account the margins and bottom section. Going from 600*800 of the image to 1024*758 for the screen, would cause some distortion, but I'm surprised it is as bad as you are seeing. I assume the the img version to be displayed without being resized. That should mean it would look OK.
Well, it does, actually. The svg-version is just not as crisp as the img-version… and it bugs me.
For now I'm thinking of going with svg-wrapping only for the cover. It makes no difference for the Kindle. For the Touch they are acceptable according to you, and for the Glo the illustrations look better in simple img-tags.

Quote:
One of the most common complaints about the Kobo devices is that changing the reader font, margin and line spacing settings doesn't work. This is because they have been set in the epub. Kobo has decided to honour the settings in the book and not override them. Your sample doesn't set any of these for the cover or map pages. So, the Kobo will apply its margins. Setting these to nothing in the font settings, will remove the margins.
I do set margins: in the stylesheet, but the stylesheet isn't applied to the cover-page. I've tried to make sure margins are not applied to the cover-page by using this code:

Code:
<style type="text/css">
@page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
</style>
It doesn't work.

I noticed in the font-settings there is an item "Document Default." It doesn't seem to do much. IMHO that should be a separate setting and not one under "Fonts." E.g. I use a special font for titles, but not for the main text as I want the reader to have a choice. As it is, the Kobo always honors the document defaults (which makes that specific setting rather superfluous).

On a side note: on the Glo, the preloaded font "Avenir" renders text bold where it should render it in italic. Probably a simple mistake in the naming convention, but nobody seems to take the trouble to repair it.

I'm planning to buy a Sony Reader Touch PRS-T2 and see how the book behaves on that device. I'll report my findings.

Last edited by Andrew Ashling; 12-04-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote