View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
I don't really know Macs, or Text Wrangler but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Basically, I'm making my own ebooks and have already scanned/ocr'd the files and everything.

I was hoping I could use Text Wrangler or some other kind of text editing software to clean up the text- I just want to indent all the paragraphs and fix all those random line breaks....

Anyone have any tips, or am I way out of my league?

Or is there an easier way to do this?
What you're probably going to need to learn is regular expressions (sometimes called regex). Once you learn that (and just keep an adventurous spirit: try things!) you should be able to whip things into shape fairly quickly.

They're intimidating. No doubt about it. But it's the tool that you need. I started a small thread here on regex.

There's an old text utility for Windows, called InterParse4, that has a GUI for a lot of basic regex specifically related to ebooks. It's available for download here on MobileRead. Kind of a funky interface, but once you get the hang of it, it can do amazing stuff with text. Note particularly that it wants you to save your changes to a new file, has weird terminology and uses something called "backout" in addition to "undo". Still, it works great. Give it a try in Parallels while you're learning regex.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote