View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #453
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I didn't realize they had updated the original Fire (Fire 1) to a Fire 2. Is it just a firmware update to match its big brother the Fire HD, or did they upgrade the hardware too?

To be honest I was never impressed with the Fire 1 and the Fire HD really isn't much better. The special Amazon GUI is really annoying and the lack of Collections for books inexcusable, IMO. The only reason I reluctantly bought the Fire HD was because the Paperwhite sucked even worse and I wanted a mid-size tablet/reader with good screen for reading Kindle books in low lit areas. The Fire HD does excel at that task. But if Apple had put a better screen on the mini I would have bought it instead as the Kindle for iPad app is really good.
I love my PW more each day. The only thing the Kindle Touch has over the Paperwhite is looks. That solid black with silver letters looks like a cheap throwback to earlier models to me. Plus, I miss the option of a headphone jack; even though I never used it the text-to-speech function except to check it out. Other than that, the PW rocks.

Now if I were in the market for a Fire, I'd check out the new, larger ones, perhaps even the $499 HD 8.9" with the 4G LTE Wireless. 250 MB/month for 12 months for a one-time payment of $49 is nothing to sneeze at—unless you plan to watch videos and do a lot of downloading when away from your home Wi-Fi setup. You can pack a lot of emails and forum surfing into 250 MG per month. I have a 3G 500 MB/month plan for my Virgin Mobile Hotspot and rarely go over 300 MG in a month. It's slow as molasses, but for what I use it for, it gets the job done.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote