Thread: $13 eReader?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #129
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
we don't? ooops. I never got that memo

I never said you didn't. If I'm getting a book from a non-Amazon source, I will sideload the book. But just because you or I would do something doesn't mean that users of e-readers in general would. Anything that makes the process simpler makes people more readily adopt the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I know plenty of people who sideload--however, they're certainly not in the market for a device like this; sideloading's enough of a nuisance that it's often done in large batches of books. There's the occasional "ooh, favorite author has new book; must add that NOW," but otherwise, it's "I've got one from here, and one from there, and picked up 5 new short stories from Smashwords and a new backlist novel from CafePress, and that freebie bundle..." a reader that only holds 5 books is useless to many sideloaders.

I'd expect, with how little the ereader manufacturers are supporting sideloading, that it doesn't require that, but expects you to load your Amazon or Kobo or B&N ebooks to the device, by means of weird proprietary software that only works with a few major stores. It may not have *any* sideloading options.
I'm pretty sure you can't sideload books with this device, it doesn't have a USB port. Some die-hard e-reader users may sideload, but most people use WiFi. You don't see many e-readers on the market that don't have WiFi. I didn't mean to imply that this device uses sideloading, only that just as most e-reader owners do not prefer to sideload, I think most e-reader owners would not prefer the extra step of using a phone to load books.

Last edited by QuantumIguana; 10-23-2012 at 01:20 PM.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote