View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
nbc
nbc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
[Old Thread] Problems with Linux/Calibre and Nook

Hi all,

I'm new to E-Readers, so this may be a simple couple of questions. My wife bought me a Nook last week. I was able to set it up using her Mac (and Adobe Digital Editions) and I have successfully loaded a book into the device.

On my Linux system, I installed ADE under Crossover Office. I was able to authorize the user (same as the Mac) but I can't get ADE to recognize the Nook when I plug it in, so I have NOT gotten a book onto the Nook via my Linux system.

Last week, I installed Calibre. It came up and recognized the Nook immediately. However, when I send an ePub file that I downloaded (using ADE) to the Nook, it tells me 'User not authenticated' when I try to open the book for reading.

So my first question is - what do I need to do to configure my Linux system to work with Configure and the Nook. Do I need the ADE authentication info? Do I need ADE at all?

Second question - when I tried downloading a book from the local library, it created a .ascm file, which I gather is more or less a meta-file with the associated lending/DRM intormation. I was able to download the actual ePub book using ADE. Can I do the download with Configure? I was not able to figure out how to make that happen.

And finally, I'm running this on a Fedora 14 system - and every time I close Configure I get a 'Crash' notice - looks like the program doesn't shut down properly. Anyone know if this is a known problem? Is there a newer version or fix available? It isn't critical - seems like the program works fine until shutdown...

Thanks in advance,

nbc
nbc is offline   Reply With Quote