View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Valid choices. I hope we won't spark a religious war of the dashes :-)

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Apparently, some publishers prefer the use of an en-dash with spaces around " – " instead of an em-dash "—", but it's only a matter of style. I don't say I like that better, but for reflowable text in relatively small screens, I think the en-dash with spaces might lead to better looking text. In the books I've done I use this.

Well... actually I use en-dash with spaces when in the middle of the text, and and em-dash when at the end of a sentece (I've seen books unsing a longer dash, like two em-dashes, in these cases), as in:

"They live as we all should live – undisturbed, indifferent, and without disquiet."
"I beg your pardon. I thought—"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote