View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #47
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Konrath and Crouch talk libraries, too:
http://jakonrath.blogspot.ca/2012/08...libraries.html

Heh!
He wishes.
There are 122,000 libraries in the US. At $3.99 per title, that is just short of half a million per title.

A pretty good deal for most any writer not named Rowling or King.

As I said, the libraries need to reconsider their book acquistion processes.
Are there really 122,000 actual libraries in the United States? I can't see it
as there are approximately 30,000 towns, villages and cities. Included in this number are incorporated suburbs of other cities, bouroughs, counties etc. some of whom may share the same ebook lending system or not have one at all. 122,000 branches seems more likely.

In Canada with about 1/10th the population we have AFAIK 14 ebook lending systems.
This would equate to about $56 per book.

Quote:
3. The library only needs to buy one ebook of a title, and then they can make as many copies as they need for all of their patrons and all of their branches.
Assuming the same type of systems are active in the United States and that there are 140 ebook lending sytems in place than that is approximately $560 per book. Going all out and assuming a highly unlikely 1,400 individual ebook lending systems (70 per state with many states having less than 2) will still only nets $5600 per title.

I applaud their sentiments (Konrath and Crouch) as clearly massive profits are not the motif. But I will have to see it to beleive it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote