View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Not necessarily, some devices only run off the battery. The plug is only there to charge the battery.

I would pull the battery out again and have it tested. I read somewhere that replacement batteries were available from sources other than Amazon.

I did a search and several places claim to sell replacement batteries and there was an article by a guy detailing how he did so. I saw nothing that required hacking the firmware.
It may be model specific. The GPL source code for the models that I read include battery checking code that disables booting if battery authentication fails. I can see why they do it, because lithium batteries are an inherent fire hazard if charged or operated incorrectly.

It is possible that the "factory over-ride" for some kindles was left enabled when the firmware was built. But more likely, instead of hacking the firmware, the battery may be hacked to pass the firmware checks. Some cheap chinese replacement batteries for various devices contain a cloned chip copied from an authentic authorized battery, allowing them to work. Unless authorized by amazon, they would be counterfeit batteries in that case, but may work fine anyway, and may or may not eventually burn down your house while being charged.

Or, the video may be showing an authentic replacement battery.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-07-2012 at 08:49 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote