View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #31
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
It took me a long time, but I am really glad I read it - I enjoyed it thoroughly, though the prose was at times beyond me, but as a non native speaker I am (sadly) used to it!

I am also glad I am late, as I have really enjoyed your comments - so let me only mention three that I don't think you have touched upon.

First, I wondered whether Dick's total obliteration in the end was really necessary from the narrative point of view: it is story of love that fades, and the final paragraphs describing Dick's demise felt a bit of an overkill to me.

Secondly, the Divers children felt a bit of an afterthought, and the scenes with them for me did not feel as compelling as the rest.

Finally, one thing which struck me is that, this book being written when it was, I was really surprised by the lack of any reference to what was happening politically (the rise of fascism and the Nazi), besides the funny hats of Italian carabinieri!

It is (shamefully) my first Fitzgerald book, but it won't be the last!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote