View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #42
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
The report showed that the percentage of adults who have read an e-book rose modestly over the past year, from 16% to 23%. But it also revealed that fully 89% of regular book readers said that they had read at least one printed book during the preceding 12 months. Only 30% reported reading even a single e-book in the past year.
Two unrelated facts. Fact 1: % of people reading e-books is rising while % of people reading p-books is falling. Fact 2: People who do not own e-readers do not read e-books. Here is the data...

If you remove HS students who are provided books to read, it's clear there is a strong movement towards e-reading. In a year or two the 17-18 numbers will go through the roof as schools start handing out e-readers. Free is STILL good.

Also, from the same study...

Quote:
This move toward e-books has also affected libraries. The share of recent library users who have borrowed an e-book from a library has increased from 3% last year to 5% this year. Moreover, awareness of e-book lending by libraries is growing. The share of those in the overall population who are aware that libraries offer e-books has jumped from 24% late last year to 31% now.
Perhaps the study is telling us is that people who depend on libraries that do not loan e-books mostly read p-books.

Quote:
the Association of American Publishers reported that the annual growth rate for e-book sales fell abruptly during 2012, to about 34%
Rate of increase slowing is a natural phenomenon. If I sell one e-book each year for five years, after two years, the rate of growth is 100%, after three, it is 50%, after four it is 33%, and after five years, the rate of growth is 25%. I wish the rate of growth of my salary or portfolio was 34%. Unfortunately, only my bills grow at this rate.

Quote:
A 2012 survey by Bowker Market Research revealed that just 16% of Americans have actually purchased an e-book and that a whopping 59% say they have "no interest" in buying one.
according to statisticsbrain.com, only 20% of Americans purchased any kind of book last year. I wonder how the 59% of Americans who have "no interest" in buying an e-book compares to the number of Americans who do not own an e-book reader? I'll bet a whopping percentage of Americans who do not own an e-reader have no interest in buying e-books, BUT I'll bet a whopping percentage of Americans who own an e-reader have some interest in buying an e-book.

Quote:
according to Pew, nearly 90% of e-book readers continue to read physical volumes. The two forms seem to serve different purposes.
I am much more interested in the 10% of e-book readers who REFUSE to open a p-book since seeing the light. Lies, damn like, and statistics.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote