View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I agree that MOBI isn't the easiest format to implement. Linux (or any O/S) would not be a issue if DRM was not in the picture. Only MobiPocket has Linux Reader software with DRM at present (Sony does too, but only on their own devices). This may be a marketing, rather than a technical, issue - but it is a real constraint on E-Ink devices.
I'm afraid I disagree that this was the prime motivating factor for iRex and Bookeen to go with Mobi. The prime reason, almost certainly, was the fact that Mobi are by far the market leaders in the eBook world - they have more stores and more books than anyone else. What would be the point in releasing an eBook reader which had no books available for it? By going with Mobi, they've given their customers a vast range of books to choose from.

The typical customer doesn't give two hoots if the file format is technically a poor one; all they care about is whether or not they'll be able to buy the books they want to read. Mobi gives them that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote