View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 AM   #52
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
Also --- I may be wrong, but I think support for soft/optional hyphens is somewhat lacking in reader software and devices. I remember trying to use the &shy entity way back when, when I wanted lines to break in certain spots if hyphenation was on, and getting the "missing glyph" display of blank box/question mark when I reviewed it ADE. Maybe things have improved since I tried that.
Oh, no, you're not wrong, but--and I have not endeavored to try this in a book being released into the wild--Amazon claims it has support now for an embedded "line break opportunity" for very long words/strings of text with no spaces (<wbr>). I'm going to ask one of our publisher clients to give it a try in one of her books, in which I know she has very long links for her authors' blogsites, etc. Not that I'm 100% sure what will happen if I endeavor to break a link in a Kindle, but I assume in theory that it breaks the display text, not the link itself.

It's funny you picked today to mention this; we've had another oddity ourselves today that increases the grey on my dome. ADE hyphenated a LOT of dialogue sentences, in one particular book, by inserting the hyphens after the opening quote mark, so immediately after the ldquo, where the ldquo occurred at the end of the line. My poor client (an ebook virgin) nearly fainted. I had to explain reflowability, my absolute favorite speech (not), and then we finally just caved and turned hyphenation off for that particular book. I don't know why it's so rampant in this book. Just think of everything that has to be "just so;" the reader pane size has to be just so, the font size just so, and the book has to have a lot of dialogue that begins inside a paragraph, rather than at the beginning.

It's peculiar to me that ADE's rendering engine has such difficulties with any header classes (you have to turn it off for header classes completely, or books in Nook are a bloody disaster--it hyphenates wherever it runs out of space. "We don't need no stinking syllables!") and yet works, for the most part, in the body...if you don't count bizarro-world scenarios like hyphenation post-quote-marks. And there's nothing you can do to fix it; we're not using thin-sp between quote marks and the text; it just does it. You also can't create any settings to preclude ladders, either. Very, very frustrating.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote