View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
this guy is the dream publisher for ebooks. i wish ALL publishers and authors thought like him. i love the attitude he takes towards discouraging illicit copying (emphasis mine) :

Quote:
Because it's easy to buy our ebooks legitimately, there's not much incentive to share purchased copies or to download copies rather than buying them.

(...)

Other techniques we employ [to discourage copying] include free samples of all of our ebooks, a discount offer that readers can share with interested friends or colleagues, a plainly written request that readers treat the ebooks as they would print books (occasional lending of books is a time-honored tradition), and an up-front statement that we don't use any copy prevention or DRM technologies. We also take small pains to make sure our Check for Updates links work only for purchasers, and utilize basic security measures to prevent copies from being downloaded illegitimately from our Web site.
this guy has everything right, down to acknowledging that people like to share their books with friends, and allowing that on a small scale this is perfectly acceptable, and the fact that he doesn't use any DRM. i'm a bit disappointed that he seems only to publish computer and tech manuals (which i have no need to buy) because i would love to support him and encourage him to keep setting the example.

now if only the others would follow his lead....

very interesting article, Alex.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote