View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
The details seem to be murky, but... I can't think of a better recent book to be required reading at a middle school level than Ender's Game.
Let's see: the entire Ender saga is a morality tale. The book illustrates the advantages of analyzing a situation and applying innovative solutions that work. It encourages looking for the true value in a person without judging by outward appearances. It points out that the youngest, smallest, physically weakest, etc., can be part (or most) of the solution to a problem.
Why would anyone object to that as a teaching tool for young adults? Oh, yeah..... Well, at least it will join a large list of incredibly good books that have been banned because some narrow-minded person objected, and a range of officials with no backbone caved in.
If I had a child that age, I'd make sure they had access to a wide range of banned books!
KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote