Thread: iPad iPad & Comics
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #15
Cyber Sleuth
Cyber Sleuth began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite
I bought an iPad to specifically read my hundreds of scanned comics.

I don't bother with any of the comic reader apps. Not worth the money or trouble since you can read your comics very easily with the Photos app supplied when you get your iPad. Just put your comic jpg images in a different album for each comic book. The iPhoto software on your computer syncs perfectly with iTunes so it will snyc easily with the iPad.

The iPad screen is so sharp, you can read the indicia of a comic without zooming in. But if you want to zoom in or turn the page with a flip of your finger, it is lightening fast. The detail is almost as good as the original scan of the comic page.

If you have cbr or cbz files, you need to just convert them to their original individual jpg format files with any of the many free converters. If you have Unrar or zip decompression software, you already have a converter. Just change the .cbr to .rar and let it rip.... Upload each comic into the Photos app like a picture and you can read each album as a comic book. Watch the iPad Photos app video on the Apple site and imagine the pictures as comics. Incredibly easy to zoom, turn the page or jump around in the comic/album.

I don't know how many albums you can have in Photos, but since it is real easy to transfer them when you sync up or recharge your iPad, it is no problem to replace ones you've read with new ones. I have about 10 comics on mine at the moment.

If you have pdfs, I like the Goodreader app. Cheap and very easy to use. Syncs right from your desktop via iTunes. No need for WiFi connection.

As "valkyriesound" wondered, if you want to read comics on your main computer, you need to get a "remote access" app. There are several, even a free one or two.
Cyber Sleuth is offline   Reply With Quote