Thread: iPad iPad & Comics
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Thanks for the replies.

If someone had the chance to experience both Kindle DX and the iPad, what it's like when viewing an A4 sized document? The iPad's extra width make it more readable? Or because it's also shorter, the a4 documents won't fill the screen, leaving two black bars, one each side?

Finally, how fast it the iPad turning pages, zooming in and out and panning pictures and PDF files?
For PDF files, the iPad is much better than the DX. Whatever resizing algorithm the DX uses for documents that are larger than the native resolution can make text extremely hard to read, whereas the iPad renders them crisply and cleanly. (I'm talking about comics specifically here.)

Zooming, panning, rotating and turning pages is extremely quick on the iPad also - at least in GoodReader, which seems to be the PDF viewer of choice for most people. It doesn't so much as hiccup on 200MB+ files that I've thrown at it.

I haven't tried any of the CBZ/CBR readers, but I've been extremely happy with GoodReader for PDFs and the Comics app for digital comics. If comics companies would just get with the times and offer more of their catalogs, particularly recent issues, I could see myself cutting way down on visits to the local comic shop.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote