View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The translation you choose can make a big difference in your enjoyment of a book. The Grossman translation of Don Quixote was one of the first things I bought for my K2, and back in 2001 when a couple of new translations of The Mysterious Island came out, I bought the hardback right away. I got the Jordan Stump translation. These were the first accurate English translations.

Quote:
There are so many mainstream and genre backlist books I'd rather see first that the translations of old classics are pretty far down my list.
These are mainstream, it's the bestsellers that are usually genre fiction. But the main advantage of ebooks is the possibility of choice and universal availability, but we haven't quite gotten there yet.

Quote:
Stanislaw Lem? (from Polish)
Does a direct translation of Solaris exist in a paper edition? The version I read was an English translation of the French translation.

Last edited by BenG; 05-28-2009 at 11:27 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote