View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #298
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Why sacrifice? Isn't the major point of a card slot that you can have more than one card?
Among micro-SD users, I suspect card swappers are a single-digit-percentage minority. For most people it's a one-time upgrade of storage capacity. A lot of Android apps also expect data on SD to stay more or less static. Swapping creates another layer of content management, introduces wear to one of a tablet's few (in some cases only) moving parts, requires coordinated handling of tiny parts with the associated risk of loss or breakage, and with my tablet requires removing the device from its case. That alternative is less attractive than managing with 32GB, and I could always bump up to 64GB (reported working in the Nook Color despite 32GB being the rated max).

There's a reason micro-SD slots are more often marketed as expandable media, not removable media. If you're really serious about storage capacity, though, swapping is an option.

ETA: Piper and I simul-posted, but her concerns are mostly addressed here, too Again, I don't have data behind it, but I get the impression that most users value card slots for the option to spend an amount of their choosing to upgrade storage by an amount of their choosing, rather than wanting to juggle multiple cards.

Last edited by taosaur; 07-13-2012 at 05:07 PM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote