View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #56
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nicholson View Post
Yes, most of all writing is crappy, but don't forget that most agents and editors wanted to be writers but weren't good enough.
Glad you said "most" -- I never wanted to be a writer and still don't.

Quote:
There is no university degree to be an agent or editor. You go to NY when you are 22 and get a job, then hang around. That's not to say there aren't wonderful, passionate editors, but every single one of them answers to a sales staff, stockholders, and corporate board of directors. It's just not necessarily a system designed to publish the highest-quality books.
Yes, there are university degrees for editorial in the broad sense. At the master's level there are degrees in publishing with emphases on editing.

Quote:
(Incidentally, this is from an author who has been both rejected and accepted by publishers--and my best books were never accepted).
My experience is that authors rarely are good judges of their own work. Not suggesting you aren't or that you aren't right about your own work, but as an outsider, I would wonder if you are correct.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote