View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Each plugin author is free to do what they want (except add more than one zip file to their first post as it breaks Plugin Updater!) but speaking for myself it just isn't going to happen.

Going backwards in calibre versions is *rarely* a good idea, particularly given the frequency of database changes, it certainly isn't supported. Instead the recommendation as always is to have backups. The same should apply to your calibre configuration directory where your plugins are installed - had you taken a backup of that directory yourself you would have less of an issue.

For the same reasons going backwards in calibre is a bad idea, going backwards in calibre plugins can be a bad idea too (unless you restore from backup your matching pair of calibre database and calibre plugins folder). Speaking for myself my plugins frequently have migration code inside them to move configuration forward be it file or database-based - installing an older version of the plugin will break that and most likely cause you to lose your settings.

It's just a bad idea imo. I can sympathise, but (a) the need to revert after a new calibre release is infrequent, and more importantly (b) it would require a whole lot of time and effort that I for one am not going to put in. I spend enough of my life developing and supporting the plugins as is without adding more overhead.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote